Yesterday on May 1st Drupal ORG made version 8.7.0 officially available for download. It has usual bug fixes and dependency updates, but the main purpose of this release is to bring new powerful features:
- New stable JSON:API which minimizes both the number of requests and the amount of data transmitted between clients and servers.
- Stable Layout builder the feature close to WordPress Gutenberg editor, that make content creation easy with drag and drop ability
- Improvements in experimental Media Library with extra benefits for reusable media, media types, media fields
- Revisionable menus and taxonomy term
- New features in the Umami demo profile with new set of Spanish translations
PHP 5 support has been dropped in favor of PHP 7.2.
The next bug fix release (8.7.1) is scheduled for June 5, 2019. The next Drupal 8.8.0 release, is scheduled to be available on December 4th of this year. Drupal 9 is planned for June 3, 2020.